
Southampton's BEST Kept Secret: Cromwell Arms Pub & Rooms!
Alright, deep breath… let’s talk about Southampton's BEST Kept Secret: The Cromwell Arms Pub & Rooms! Forget your cookie-cutter hotels – this place… this place is something else. Prepare for a review that’s less "objective analysis" and more "giddy rambling with a side of genuine feedback." Because honestly? I'm kinda stoked about this place.
First Impressions (and a Panic Attack… Kinda)
Finding it can feel like a treasure hunt. It's tucked away, which I love, but for a navigational disaster like myself, it was a minor heart-attack-inducing moment. (Thankfully, post-arrival, you can easily grab a taxi or arrange for Airport transfer – bonus points for that, Cromwell Arms!) But then BAM! You see the old brick, the ivy creeping up the walls, the promise of a proper pub… and all is right with the world. The Exterior corridor is… well, it is an exterior corridor. Don't expect perfectly manicured gardens. Expect character. And that, my friends, is the Cromwell Arms's secret weapon.
Accessibility – The Good, the Bad, and the "Could Be Better"
Okay, let's be real. This isn’t a modern, flawlessly accessible hotel. I'm not the one to judge, but I did see an Elevator, which is a huge plus! But the entire place is just…old! It's charm. It's real. Be prepared for some uneven surfaces (the charming flagstone floors in the pub!). I saw Facilities for disabled guests listed, but I'll have to leave that assessment to someone with more expertise. I didn't see Car park [free of charge] listed, but I was able to park right next to the door when I arrived, so maybe I got lucky that day. Regardless, I'd recommend calling ahead to confirm if your accessibility needs are specific – it's always best to double-check.
Rooms: Where Charm Meets… Well, Sometimes Imperfection
I stayed in a room… a very nice room, actually. The Wi-Fi [free] was a godsend. Seriously. Instant access to the internet – big win for me. I wanted to work remote. The Internet access – wireless and Internet access – LAN meant I could stream my favorite shows while pretending to work (shhh, don’t tell anyone!). Air conditioning… yes! A must-have in the unpredictable British weather. Free bottled water was a nice touch. Desk, Laptop workspace – perfect for getting things done (or failing miserably at it like I do).
Now, for the slightly less perfect things. The bathroom was functional, but not the most glamorous. The shower… well, the water pressure could've been better (but hey, character!). And I swear the blackout curtains weren't quite blackout-y enough. Small imperfections, for sure. But hey, that’s part of the charm, right? It's not sterile. It's lived in. I’d happily trade a perfectly pristine, soulless hotel for a room with a bit of personality any day. I’m talking a Mirror, a Hair dryer, some Toiletries, Towels… basic stuff, but all there and working! I’m not going to lie, the Bathrobes and slippers were perfect for a night in.
I'm thinking it's non-smoking rooms though, as the Non-smoking aspect is stated, and no Smoking area is advertised.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Pub Grub Done Right and a Breakfast to Die For… (Almost)
This is where the Cromwell Arms truly shines. The pub downstairs! Oh, the pub! Bar, Restaurants, Coffee shop even, the vibe is perfect. Cozy, inviting, the aroma of hearty pub food… It's a proper pub experience, not some pre-fab hotel bar.
I’m a sucker for a good Happy hour. Winning.
Food-wise? Get the fish and chips. Seriously. No, scratch that, get the pie! (I got the pie. Do it.) The A la carte in restaurant menu is solid. Western cuisine in restaurant. Think classic, comforting, not overly fancy – just delicious. The Vegetarian restaurant side is also decent. There is a Breakfast [buffet] available and Breakfast service offered. I went for the full English breakfast, and I can tell you that Breakfast in room makes the stay even more special. It was so good I nearly passed out from pure joy, a rare thing for this cynic. Bottle of water – yup, got you covered. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was perfect.
Now, the slight downsides, if I had to nitpick (and I do, it’s my job!). The Room service [24-hour] is a godsend. I wish there were more Desserts in restaurant. And, while it’s not a deal-breaker, I was a little disappointed to see no Asian cuisine in restaurant. Not a huge deal as the food was amazing.
Services and Conveniences: Sorted (Mostly)
Daily housekeeping – appreciated! Laundry service and Dry cleaning were available – super convenient. Concierge? Yup, there if you need it. Luggage storage – covered.
One minor point: I didn't see much in the way of Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, or a Gym/fitness thing going on (a shame, I needed a good scrub).
The Whole "Cleanliness and Safety" Thing: Pretty Darn Good
Okay, this is important. I'm a bit of a germaphobe. And I was VERY impressed with the Cromwell Arms's efforts. Anti-viral cleaning products. Daily disinfection in common areas. Staff trained in safety protocol. Hand sanitizer everywhere.. They really do seem to take it seriously. And, as a bonus, they are providing Cashless payment service.
Getting Around: Mostly Easy Peasy
Airport transfer available. Taxi service – convenient. Car park [on-site] to be confirmed (as I said, I had no problems parking). Bicycle parking – hmm, I don't recall seeing this, again, call ahead to check.
For the Kids: Hmm…
Family/child friendly is listed. Babysitting service is available. I didn’t see much in terms of actual kids facilities, so this place probably isn’t ideal for families, depending on the age of the kids.
Things To Do/Ways to Relax: It's a Pub, People!
Let's be honest: the main thing to do here is RELAX. Sit by the fireplace in the pub. Read a book. Drink a pint. Have a chat with the friendly staff or the locals. It’s not a place for wild adventures (though I am told Southampton has some cool stuff). It's a place for… being.
No Pool with view. No Swimming pool. No Poolside bar. But honestly? I didn't miss them.
The Verdict: Book It (But Know What You're Getting Into!)
The Cromwell Arms is not your standard, bland hotel. It's got character, charm, and a fantastic pub. It's got its quirks. It’s not perfect (but, honestly, is anything?). BUT it’s a place you’ll remember.
The "Book Now" Offer (Because I Want You To Go!)
Tired of soul-crushing chain hotels? Craving a genuine experience? Book your stay at the Cromwell Arms Pub & Rooms this month and get a free pint of local ale upon arrival! Plus, enjoy a 10% discount on your meal in the pub. Use code "BESTKEPTSECRET" when booking online or mentioning it over the phone. Don't miss out on this hidden gem – your taste buds (and your soul) will thank you!
Ho Chi Minh's BEST Kept Secret: SẠCH Hotel! (You HAVE to See This)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn’t your sanitized, Instagram-filtered travel guide. This is me, about to tell you about my, shall we say, unique experience at Cromwell Arms Country Pub with Rooms in Southampton, UK. Prepare for a bit of a bumpy ride… because let's be honest, my life is a bumpy ride.
Cromwell Arms: My Southampton Saga - A Messy Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival & Initial Skepticism (Mostly Skepticism)
14:00 - Arrival & Check-In: Okay, first impressions are everything. And my first impression? The Cromwell Arms looks charming… from the outside. Bit of a "rustic chic" vibe going on, which could be code for "needs a good scrub." The check-in? Took longer than it should have. Like, British "queue for everything" long. The receptionist seemed friendly enough, but she had that slightly glazed-over look of someone who'd dealt with one too many demanding tourists. I’m already feeling a bit skeptical. Am I going to be the one to find a dead spider? Possibly.
14:30 - Room Revelation: My room… well, let's just say the pictures online LIED. Sure, the four-poster bed was pretty, but the "charming" decor felt more "grandma's attic." And the wallpaper? Floral. So, so floral. Not my vibe. BUT, the bed IS comfy. That's a win. My initial reaction: "Oh, for the love of all that is holy, is that stained?" And it was, in fact, a small stain. This is going to be a long weekend.
15:00 - Pub Reconnaissance: Time to scope out the pub itself. Needed immediate access to cider, or frankly, I might have bolted. The pub area is cozy, yeah. And yes, it is charming; the walls do seem to be coated in wood. The staff seemed a bit rushed, and the music was louder than I'd like, but the smell of greasy goodness coming from the kitchen was promising. Ordering a pint, then checking, where is the lavatory.
16:00 - Wander & Stumble: I decided a walk was in order to get my bearings. Aaaand, I got lost immediately. Southampton is a confusing maze! Ended up by some docks that smelled overwhelmingly of, well, the sea. And some other things. Thought about the Titanic and had a little moment of existential dread. Felt like I should probably get back to base camp (the pub) before nightfall. This city is vast.
19:00 - Pub Dinner & the 'Incident': Okay, this is where things get interesting. Ordered the fish and chips. Delicious. Absolutely perfect batter. Then… the "incident." Let's just say, a spilled pint, a flustered waitress, and a VERY awkward apology from yours truly. I'm usually graceful, I promise! But the atmosphere was lovely, so a few drinks later, the incident was forgiven. My emotional reaction: "Oh god, mortification". Thankfully, the dessert, a sticky toffee pudding, was so good it nearly made me cry.
(Late) 22:00 - Bedtime Ritual: I’m ready to pass out. The old floral wallpaper calls my name. A little bit of sleep, and maybe tomorrow it'll be all sunshine and blue skies.
Day 2: Exploring & The Double-Down on Dinner
09:00 - Breakfast… or Lack Thereof: Breakfast was included, thankfully, but it was a bit of a disaster. The full English had been sitting for a while. The bacon tasted… well, not of bacon. More char. I ended up with toast and tea. Okay, fine. Not a breakfast person anyway.
10:00 - Southampton City Tour: Decided to actually do some touristy things. Found a walking tour, but I got distracted by a fancy teashop and only caught the end. Saw some history. Listened to a couple of people talk loudly. Lots of boats.
13:00 - Lunch (Take Two): Found a cute little cafe by the docks. Some sort of panini. Delicious. Reminded myself that good food can turn everything around.
15:00 - The Long Walk: Took a longer walk to get rid of some energy after the bad breakfast. I was really getting into the atmosphere of the city.
19:00 - Dinner: A Redemption Arc? I really wanted to redeem the horrible dinner I had yesterday. This time, I ordered the steak. Medium-rare, because, dammit, I deserved it. And… it was perfect. Absolutely, ridiculously, melt-in-your-mouth perfect. This experience was so great, so I decided to stay and enjoy more drinks. The emotional reaction? "Foodgasm."
22:00 - Chatting with Strangers & Slightly Tipsy Reflections: The amazing steak had me in high spirits. Started chatting with some locals at the bar. Ended up having a surprisingly deep conversation about… everything. The pub became a place of connection. The atmosphere was so good, I actually felt connected to the location. Bedtime came around and I collapsed into bed, happy and exhausted.
Day 3: Departure & Surprisingly Fond Goodbyes
09:00 - Another Breakfast Attempt: Same fate as yesterday.
10:00 - Packing & Room Inspection: Took one last look around. I'd survived the floral wallpaper, the stained carpet, and the questionable breakfast. I was ready to make my leave.
11:00 - The Farewell: Checked out. Said goodbye to the friendly receptionist. I actually found that I had enjoyed my stay. Well, mostly.
12:00 - Departure: Leaving the Cromwell Arms. The goodbyes were surprisingly heartfelt. The hotel was not fantastic, but there was some charm. Still, a bit of a relief to be on my way!
Final Thoughts:
The Cromwell Arms? A mixed bag. But, the steak was amazing. I needed a little bit more. I really do. It wasn’t perfect, but it was real. And sometimes, that’s all you need. Would I recommend it? Depends. If you're looking for pristine perfection, probably not. If you're looking for an experience, some delicious food, a little local charm, and don’t mind the occasional rough edge? Then, yeah, give it a go. Just maybe pack your own breakfast. And watch out for that floral wallpaper. It's watching you.
Escape to Indy: Greenwood's BEST Extended Stay Suites!
Cromwell Arms: The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Maybe a Little Bit Extra (of the Good Stuff)
So, what *is* this "Best Kept Secret" business about the Cromwell Arms? Is it just hype?
Hype? Listen, I've lived in Southampton longer than I care to admit (let's just say I remember when the West Quay was just a twinkle in some developer's eye), and the Cromwell Arms… yeah, it's legit. Okay, fine, maybe they *like* the "secret" thing. It's a cozy, proper pub, not some flashy, over-the-top chain. Think proper ales, roaring fires (when it's cold, obviously!), and a vibe that's genuinely... welcoming. Not that fake, plastic-smile kind. Trust me. My first experience? Wandering in cold, after a godawful day, and the smell of a roast just hit. Like a warm hug. And the landlord, bless his heart, he looked like he'd seen a few things in his time. He just nodded, pointed me to a seat by the fire, and practically *knew* I needed a pint of something dark and comforting. No hype, just… perfect.
The rooms. Are they any good? Because B&Bs can be… well, let's be honest.
Right, the rooms. *Don't* expect the Ritz. They’re… charming. That's the polite version. Think character, creaky floorboards, and maybe a slight tilt to the whole building – adds to the charm, I tell myself! Honestly? They're clean, they’re comfortable, and they’re *nowhere near* as sterile as your average chain hotel. I remember one time… I was there for a conference. Seriously, I was dreading it. But the room, bless it, it was simple, but it felt… *real*. And the breakfast! Proper, proper fry-up. The kind that actually sets you up for a day of mind-numbing presentations. The only bad thing? The temptation to just stay in the room all day and order room service... and a pint. Okay, I succumbed to it once. No regrets. Though I *did* nearly miss a keynote speaker that everyone was saying I had to see. Ugh. That was a dark day.
What's the food like? Is it just pub grub?
Pub grub? Technically, yes. But it's *elevated* pub grub. Think proper pies with proper pastry, chips that actually taste of potatoes, and a Sunday roast that'll make you weep with joy (in a good way!). I’m not even kidding. The gravy alone… oh, the gravy. I'd go back just for that. Now, my personal favourite? The fish and chips. Crispy batter, flaky fish, perfect every single time. Okay, okay, so maybe I'm slightly obsessed. But seriously, they put effort in. You can taste it. Don't go expecting Michelin star cuisine, but you *can* expect genuinely good, honest food, made with care. And that's what counts, right? Though, this one time... I went on a Friday and they were running a special of something I didn't recognize. I had to ask the waiter! The poor guy looked mortified that I didn't immediately know what it was. I probably sounded like some clueless tourist. But, it turned out to be fantastic! See! Always ask!
Can I take my kids/dog?
This is a good one. In most of the pub, you *can* probably get away with it, and I am pretty sure I've seen families with tiny humans enjoying their food and a drink or two. That said, it's a traditional pub, not a noisy, kid-centric place. So, use your common sense. The rooms are probably fine for well-behaved children, *if* they’re used to the slightly older, creakier style. The dog situation? They *love* dogs. Seriously. Bring your furry friend! Just check ahead with the pub for specific rules on room stays, but generally, they're dog-friendly. Just be prepared for some serious puppy-cuddling competition from the regulars, which is worth the price of admission, in my opinion.
What's the atmosphere *really* like?
Honestly? It's… comfortable. I've been there when it's buzzing, with laughter, a few rowdy football fans (but always in good spirits), and the clinking of glasses. I’ve also been there when it's quiet, with the soft murmur of conversations, the crackle of the fire, and the gentle clinking of the barman polishing glasses. It's a place where you can actually *talk* to people. You know, real conversations, not just the surface-level stuff. The staff... they’re genuinely friendly. Especially the lady that runs the bar on Thursdays. She knows EVERYONE's name! It's that kind of place. It’s not trying to be anything it’s not. It just *is*. That's the charm, I think. And I've seen a range of people in there. Sailors, office workers, students, families. It's a real mix. It's really like a little microcosm of Southampton. And it *works*. And I can't help but smile.
Is it expensive?
It's… reasonable. Not budget-basement cheap, but definitely not the kind of place that'll make your wallet weep. The drinks are priced fairly - definitely cheaper than some of those flashy cocktail bars that have popped up all over town, and the food is excellent value for money, considering the quality. Honestly? For what you get, it's worth every penny. Compared to the generic, soulless chains, it's a bargain. You're paying for atmosphere, for a decent pint, for a plate of food that's prepared with love instead of by some anonymous robot. And those are the things that matter, aren't they?
Okay, so, what's the worst thing about the Cromwell Arms? (Come on, there must be something!)
Hmm… Well, the service sometimes can be a *bit* slow. It’s not their fault. They’re usually packed! But you're not in a rush, are you? You're there to relax, unwind, and enjoy yourself. Besides, a little wait just gives you more time to… you know… enjoy your pint. And honestly, I'm nitpicking here. They're generally pretty good, all things considered. And, if I'm being super honest, finding a parking spot can be a bit of a nightmare if you're not willing to walk. But hey, that's Southampton for you, isn't it? But the real, *real* worst thing? Leaving. Seriously. Every time. Because once you're in that cosy embrace of Cromwell Arms, you don't want to leave. Ever. And I've spent many a morning nursing a hangover in my room, desperately trying to will my train to be delayed, just so I could have another hour by the fire.Book a Stay

