
Bordeaux's Hidden Gem: Hotel La Zoologie - Unforgettable Luxury Awaits!
Bordeaux's Hidden Gem Unleashed: A Chaotic Love Letter to Hotel La Zoologie
Okay, buckle up, because I'm about to gush, rant, and maybe even accidentally spill some red wine (metaphorically, of course… though if it actually happened at La Zoologie, I wouldn't be too surprised. They just get life). This isn't your typical, sterile hotel review. I'm here to tell you about Hotel La Zoologie in Bordeaux, and trust me, it's more than just a place to crash. It's an experience. And, frankly, it nearly broke me (in the best possible way).
First things first: Accessibility. This is crucial, and La Zoologie absolutely delivers. Now, I don't personally need full accessibility, but seeing how effortlessly they cater to guests with mobility issues impressed the heck out of me. Elevators? Check. Wide doorways? Check. Apparently, there are even rooms specifically designed for wheelchair users, which is a massive win. This place cares about making everyone feel welcome.
Now, where do I even begin with the "Things to do, ways to relax" section? Seriously, I almost lost myself in a blissful vortex of pampering. The Spa… oh, the spa. I actually wept when I left. I’m not kidding. The massage was so good, I swear I could feel all the stress of the past year physically melting away. The sauna, steamroom, and pool with a view?? Forget about it. I spent a solid afternoon just floating in the outdoor pool, staring at the Bordeaux skyline, convinced I'd achieved peak zen. (Disclaimer: My zen was occasionally interrupted by a rogue splash of champagne from the poolside bar. Sue me.) The fitness center? Didn't use it. Priorities. But it looked shiny and well-equipped, if you’re into that sort of thing. There was even a foot bath! A FOOT BATH, people! This place is living the dream. They also offer body scrubs and wraps, but to be honest, I just stayed in the pool and felt great.
And the Cleanliness and safety protocols? Top-notch. I'm talking anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, and staff trained in safety protocols. They were absolutely vigilant. I felt incredibly safe, which is a huge relief right now. Plus, you know, a first aid kit and a doctor/nurse on call – just in case you over-indulge in the champagne (not that I’d know anything about that). They even had individually-wrapped food options. Smart move, La Zoologie. Smart move. The rooms are sanitized between stays, and they even offer room sanitization opt-out.
Let's talk "Dining, drinking, and snacking," shall we? Because, honestly, this is where things get really interesting. The restaurants are amazing. I dove headfirst into the Asian cuisine (because, why not?), and it was surprisingly authentic. The a la carte menu is extensive, the buffet in the restaurant is a feast for the eyes (and the stomach!), and the salad was, like, a work of art. They had a vegetarian restaurant also, which I thought was super kind of them.The coffee shop offered a decent latte, but I gotta admit, I was mostly fueled by the 24-hour room service. Who can resist that? And yes, I did sample everything on the menu that sounded even remotely tempting. And let's be honest, the bar is a must-visit spot. The Happy hour deals were, well, happy. As for the snacks, they were on-point. They even had bottled water!
Now, about the rooms. Oh, the rooms! Let me paint a picture: air conditioning, blackout curtains, a bathtub, a coffee/tea maker, free Wi-Fi, a mini bar, a safe box, satellite/cable channels, separate shower/bathtub, slippers. Absolute bliss. The bed was heavenly, honestly. I slept like a baby (a very well-rested, slightly tipsy baby). The bathrobes? Divine. The slippers? Essential. They really thought of everything. They even had an umbrella! And a wake-up service. I’m telling you, they thought of everything. I needed the desk and laptop workspace because I had to do some actual work, which was made nicer by the complimentary tea and free bottled water.
Services and conveniences are also plentiful. There's a concierge who can get you anything (seriously, anything). Daily housekeeping kept the place immaculate, and the luggage storage was a lifesaver. They had a convenience store for forgotten essentials. And get this: a car park [free of charge]! That's gold in a city like Bordeaux. There’s also a currency exchange (though I didn't need it). I did appreciate the contactless check-in/out. They had a dry cleaning service (which, unfortunately, I needed after a champagne incident…see above). And a gift/souvenir shop if you want to buy something to remind you of your visit.
And I’m going to say this about the Facilities for disabled guests. It’s important to me and it matters. They made sure everyone can access most of the things there. I was super impressed with the indoor venue for special events. So many options for people to do.
I will say, however, that I couldn’t actually see the Shrine area. But maybe I missed it. Maybe it's a well-kept secret.
For the kidz (as my inner child screams!), they have babysitting service and kids' facilities. It seems like it's very family-friendly. I didn't ask about the kids meal.
Getting around. They have airport transfer, bicycle parking, car park [on-site], car power charging station, taxi service, and valet parking. So you can easily get around.
Things to do:
- Access: You can enter using access control!
- Exterior corridor: You can see the beauty of the city through this.
- Fire extinguisher: for safety!!
- Hotel chain: You can expect good service.
- Non-smoking rooms for everyone!
- Pets allowed unavailable.
- Proposal spot for lovey-dovey people.
- Safety/security feature: They have everything to make you safe.
- Security [24-hour]: all time.
- Smoke alarms: don't worry.
- Soundproof rooms: great for everyone.
Available in all rooms:
- Additional toilet is available.
- Air conditioning is available.
- Alarm clock so you don't sleep all day.
- Bathrobes because why not.
- Bathroom phone amazing.
- Bathtub for a great time.
- Blackout curtains for extra rest.
- Carpeting is a luxury.
- Closet.
- Coffee/tea maker.
- Complimentary tea good for you.
- Daily housekeeping.
- Desk to work.
- Extra long bed for tall people.
- Free bottled water for everyone.
- Hair dryer always needed it.
- High floor for a good view.
- In-room safe box because it is needed.
- Interconnecting room(s) available.
- Internet access – LAN available.
- Internet access – wireless.
- Ironing facilities available.
- Laptop workspace.
- Linens.
- Mini bar.
- Mirror so you can see how good you are.
- Non-smoking for the health of all.
- On-demand movies, you can watch something.
- Private bathroom for privacy.
- Reading light so you can read at nights.
- Refrigerator to keep things fresh.
- Safety/security feature.
- Satellite/cable channels available.
- Scale for a quick check up.
- Seating area to sit and relax.
- Separate shower/bathtub to take a shower or just relax.
- Shower is a good option.
- Slippers, all day.
- Smoke detector.
- Socket near the bed to charge your phone.
- Sofa to sit.
- Soundproofing.
- Telephone.
- Toiletries.
- Towels.
- Umbrella for the weather.
- Visual alarm.
- Wake-up service because not everyone wakes up on time. *

Alright, buckle up buttercup, because this itinerary is less "polished brochure" and more "slightly caffeinated squirrel trying to remember where it buried its nuts." We're talking Bordeaux, Hotel La Zoologie, and a whole lotta me.
Day 1: Arrival, Jet Lag, and Existential Croissant Crisis
- 12:00 PM (ish) - Arrival at Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport (BOD): Okay, technically it was more like 12:47. Blame the Ryanair flight. My god, those seats. Anyway, stepped off the plane feeling less "jet-setting adventurer" and more "deflated sausage." The air in Bordeaux? Divine. The air in the Ryanair cabin? Let's just say it involved a slight whiff of despair and stale pretzels.
- 1:30 PM - Transfer to Hotel La Zoologie: Taxi! Thank heavens. I almost tripped over the luggage carousel and face-planted. The Zoologie, a gorgeous building, feels like a proper retreat! I was immediately drawn to the architecture; and after two hours of flying, I feel like I could just be in that building forever. Also, the lobby had a scent that was both calming and vaguely intoxicating…a good sign, I told myself.
- 2:30 PM - Check-in and Room Revelation: My room! Top floor, overlooking something…trees, maybe? I think I can see the hotel's gardens in the distance. It's a bit more "minimalist chic" than I was expecting, but the bed…oh, the bed. I may never leave it. The shower is the size of a small car, which is frankly a blessing.
- 3:30 PM - Croissant Catastrophe and Existential Dread: Okay, this is where it all went a little sideways. I ventured out, desperate for sustenance. Found a bakery that looked exquisite. Grabbed a croissant. Took a bite. And…nothing. It was a perfectly beautiful, fluffy, golden-brown, picture-perfect croissant…and it tasted like sadness. Like a cloud of disappointment sprinkled with flour. I wandered back to the hotel, croissant abandoned, questioning the meaning of life and the purpose of buttery pastries.
- 4:00 PM - Nap(ocalypse): Jet lag hit. Hard. I woke up two hours later, drooling on the pillow, and feeling like I'd been run over by a particularly charming tram.
- 6:00 PM - Stumbling Towards Dinner: Found a charming little bistro down the street, "Le Chat Noir" (of course). Ordered the duck confit. It made up for the croissant. I mean, it really did.
Day 2: Wine, Wanderings, and a Potentially Problematic Picnic
- 9:00 AM - Breakfast (Round Two): This time, I played it safe. Yogurt, fruit, and a very small, carefully chosen brioche (it passed the taste test). Fueling up for the day.
- 10:00 AM - Guided Wine Tour (St. Emilion): Holy grapes, Batman! St. Emilion is pure, unadulterated beauty. Rolling hills, vineyards stretching to the horizon, adorable stone villages. The wine? Magnificent. The tour guide? A charming old man named Jean-Pierre who kept winking at me. I probably drank too much.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch in St. Emilion: We ate at a cute little restaurant overlooking the town. The food was delicious, but the wine was the star of the show. I may have bought a bottle (or two).
- 3:00 PM - Picnic in the Park (Attempt 1): Armed with cheese, baguette, a bottle of the aforementioned wine, and a ridiculously romantic picnic blanket (because, France!), I headed to a park near the hotel. Except… it rained. Not a drizzle. A proper downpour. Picnic abandoned. Mood: thoroughly dampened.
- 4:00 PM - Picnic, Take Two! (Hotel Room Edition): Okay, so Plan B: The Hotel Room. Cheese, baguette, and wine on the bed. The view's not quite as good as the park, but at least I'm dry. And honestly, sometimes the best things happen when you're least expecting them. I found my happiness in the simplest pleasures: the taste of wine, the texture of the crusty bread, and the warm, inviting scent of my hotel room.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner: Found another amazing restaurant. I had the steak. And then ordered the crème brûlée. It was divine. I felt incredibly lucky to be here. So, so, lucky.
Day 3: Markets, Museums, and a Seriously Good Coffee
- 9:30 AM - Marché des Capucins: The buzzing, bustling, chaotic glory of a French market! The smells…oh, the smells! Fresh bread, ripe cheeses, flowers, spices… It's sensory overload in the best possible way. I bought some olives, tomatoes, and a truly incredible sausage.
- 11:00 AM - Musée d'Aquitaine: The museum was interesting, but I'm more into the atmosphere. The architecture of the building is breathtaking. I'm learning a lot about French history, but as I'm more of a "feel" person. I'm taking it all in.
- 1:00 PM - Coffee Heaven: I stumbled into a coffee shop that was pure perfection. Smooth, strong, and served with a tiny chocolate. The way they made the coffee was almost an art. I need more of this.
- 2:00 PM - Canal Saint-Martin Exploration: I enjoyed just walking through the streets. In exploring this area, I stumbled upon a beautiful canal lined with charming boutiques and cafes.
- 4:00 PM - Back to the Room: I spend most of the afternoon in the hotel room, resting and gathering the energy to go out for dinner later on.
- 7:30 PM - Dinner: I went to a restaurant that I was waiting for, the staff were very nice and welcoming. I love the food, especially the mussels!
Day 4: The Bordeaux Bloom, Departure, and a lingering longing
- 9:00 AM - Botanical Gardens: I wanted to return to the Botanical Gardens one last time. It's quite a serene place and I wanted to be there once more.
- 11:00 AM - Souvenir Shopping: I got a pair of earrings, a scarf, and some gifts for my friends.
- 12:00 PM - Lunch: I had a quick lunch at the hotel.
- 1:00 PM - Hotel Check-out: Sad to say goodbye. The staff at the hotel were so nice!
- 2:00 PM - Departure: Goodbye, Bordeaux! Until next time.
Quirky Observations and Emotional Reactions:
- The French are ridiculously stylish. I'm pretty sure I saw a woman walking her dog in a beret and perfectly coordinated scarf.
- I miss my dog, but I also love not having to pick up poop.
- The wine is dangerous. In the best possible way.
- My French is terrible, but I'm trying. I'll get there eventually.
- I swear, the sun in Bordeaux hits differently. It's golden, warm, and makes everything look prettier.
- I'm utterly and irrevocably in love with this place. I feel so lucky to go, and I can't wait to return.
Imperfections:
- I lost my favorite scarf somewhere. Probably on the train.
- My bank card wouldn't work at one point. Stressful!
- I'm pretty sure I overate every day.
- I cried when I had to leave. No shame.
So there you have it. A messy, honest, and slightly tipsy account of my Bordeaux adventure. It wasn't perfect, but it was gloriously, beautifully real. And that's all that matters, right? Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to book my return trip. À bientôt, Bordeaux.
Wichita Airport's BEST Extended Stay? (Suites & Amenities Revealed!)
Hotel La Zoologie - FAQs (Because Let's Be Honest, You're Curious!)
Alright, let's get real. You're thinking about La Zoologie, aren't you? Good choice. I've been there. I've *dwelled* there. And look, it's not all perfect Instagram perfection – trust me, I know my Instagram from my actual life (which thankfully, isn't all filters). So, buckle up, buttercups, because here's the unvarnished truth.
Is La Zoologie actually *luxury* luxury? Like, the real deal?
Okay, so here’s the deal. YES. Mostly. Think...old-world charm meets seriously stylish upgrades. The first time I walked in, my jaw actually dropped. I’m not exaggerating. It’s like, *whoa*. But, and there's always a but, right? There's a certain *je ne sais quoi* about it that’s not pure, clinical, perfectly-formed luxury. It's… more. Like, my room (Room 304, I believe I’ll NEVER forget it) had this incredible view of the courtyard, AND a tiny little crack in the plaster above the door. I mean, it spoke to the room's history, and you know I'm a sucker for it, but it's not perfect. That's what makes it awesome! It’s real. It's got… *character*. Which I'm utterly obsessed with, by the way, you can keep your sterile minimalism.
The pool – is it as dreamy as the photos?
Ooh, the pool. Okay, yeah, the photos are pretty darn accurate. It’s gorgeous. The tiles, the light, the… *shimmer* of the water. It’s all there. But let me tell you about my pool experience: I went at like, noon on a Tuesday, thinking I’d have the whole place to myself. WRONG. There were, like, three other couples, all looking incredibly smug, sipping cocktails I couldn’t afford. Plus a little kid splashing his feet (I love kids, I do, but at that moment… not so much.) So I had to… share. It was still amazing. The water was the perfect temperature, and I spent a solid hour reading a book (before I burnt to a crisp from the sun). So yeah, it's dreamy. But plan your visit strategically. And bring sunscreen. Seriously. And a slightly judgmental attitude. It adds to the fun. (Okay, maybe just the fun for me.)
What are the rooms actually *like*? Any downsides?
The rooms... oh, the rooms. They're gorgeous. Truly. High ceilings, beautiful light, that classic French elegance. My bed? Like sleeping on a cloud that's also, apparently, made of angels. The bathrooms are divine. I swear, my skin cleared up just from using the hotel's fancy toiletries. Downsides? Okay, a few, and this is me nitpicking. The WIFI, for a modern hotel, was a little… iffy at times. Not a dealbreaker if you're aiming to disconnect, but if you have urgent emails (like I did, always do), it can be a pain. Another thing? Some rooms face the street, and Bordeaux is a city that never sleeps! (Especially on a Saturday night when the drunken revelers are singing songs I've never heard). Ask for a room at the back, or bring earplugs. And maybe a sense of humor.
The location – is it convenient?
Absolutely! La Zoologie is wonderfully central. You can practically roll out of bed and stumble into the city's best wine bars (okay, maybe not *roll*, but you get the idea). Seriously though, it's minutes from the main shopping streets, the beautiful Garonne River, and tons of amazing restaurants. It’s a fantastic base for exploring Bordeaux. I walked everywhere. I mean, I ate all the pastries, so maybe I needed to walk everywhere… but that’s beside the point. Convenience? Check.
Tell me about the breakfast…
Breakfast. Oh, *breakfast*. This is where La Zoologie truly shines. Okay, so, listen. Imagine a buffet of pure deliciousness. Freshly baked croissants that practically melt in your mouth. Every kind of jam imaginable. Locally-sourced cheeses. Fruits bursting with flavor. And coffee that actually wakes you up and keeps you going all day. The staff is also amazing and they didn't laugh at me, even after I filled my plate three times with the croissants. (I have no regrets.) Honestly, it's a breakfast I'd happily pay good money for every single day. I dream about that breakfast. Seriously. It could be the single best reason to visit. And I'm not even a huge breakfast person!
Is it worth the price tag?
Okay, this is the million-dollar question, isn't it? It's not cheap, let's be honest. But is it *worth it*? Hmm. Here’s the thing. If you're looking for a cheap and cheerful hostel experience, then, no. Absolutely not. But, if you're after a truly special stay that's going to stick with you long after you leave? If you value style and comfort and that feeling of being genuinely *pampered*? Then yes. Yes, a thousand times, yes. It’s an investment in yourself, in your sanity, in a really, really good croissant. Put your money where your mouth (and your stomach) is. You won't regret it. Probably. Maybe. Okay, definitely. Go. Just go.
Anything else I should know?
Oh yes... A few random bits of advice:
- Book in advance! Seriously. Don’t be like me and try to waltz in last minute.
- Learn a few basic French phrases. The staff generally speaks English, but it's nice to try. Although, I’m completely hopeless, and I fumbled through with a smile and a “merci” every half second. It was okay, really.
- Embrace the imperfections. It's part of the charm, I promise.
- Go to a wine tasting. You’re in Bordeaux, for crying out loud! I somehow failed to fully embrace this aspect myself. I deeply regret it. Now, go, and drink one for me.
- Finally, have an amazing time. Seriously. It might just be the best vacation ever. I hope you are as utterly enchanted as I was, even with the crack in the plaster. (I adored the crack in the plaster).

