
Escape to the Himalayas: Rana's House - Your McLeod Ganj Paradise!
Escape to the Himalayas: Rana's House - My McLeod Ganj Adventure (and the Truth!)
Alright, listen up, because I'm finally back from my Himalayan escape to Rana's House in McLeod Ganj, and let me tell you, it was a trip. Forget those sterile hotel reviews; this is the real deal, warts and all. (And trust me, there were a few… more on that later).
First Impressions (and the Dreaded Staircase):
Okay, so Accessibility. Technically, they've got "facilities for disabled guests" listed. But, and this is a big but, getting to the rooms, well, let's just say it involved a steep climb. Not ideal for someone with mobility concerns, or honestly, after you've devoured Momos all day. (More on the Momos – they're divine!). I managed, but whew, that initial climb felt more like an Everest warm-up than a hotel check-in.
But let's also talk about the good stuff. The views from my window, the mountain air… pure bliss. And the staff? Super friendly, always with a smile – after you finally made it up the stairs! They were helpful.
The Internet Saga (or "Can I Actually Work Here?!"):
Internet access: This is crucial! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!… theoretically. In reality, the Wi-Fi was… temperamental. Think dial-up speeds in the 21st century. Okay, maybe not that bad, but streaming was iffy, video calls were a joke. Internet [LAN]: They had it, but good luck figuring out how to hook up a wired connection.
So, if you're planning on remote working, pack a whole lot of patience and maybe a mobile hotspot. Internet Services: Well, they existed. Just… slowly.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax (and the Quest for Perfection):
Now, on paper, Rana’s House has the goods. Spa/sauna, Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Gym/fitness… Sounds heavenly, right? Well, I got a massage. Not a bad one, actually! Could have been the mountain air, but I felt my shoulders unclench like I’d been untwined. The Sauna & Steamroom were closed (they said for maintenance but I'm sure it's the post the pandemic effect.)
The Pool with view? Nope. No pool, not even a small one. This was a slight disappointment. The Fitness center? I wouldn’t call it a gym, but it had a few basic machines. Enough to work out the guilt after another plate of Momos.
Cleanliness & Safety (The Pandemic Edition):
This is where Rana's House really shines. They took the whole virus thing seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, and the staff were masked up. The Rooms sanitized between stays. Made me feel a lot better about breathing in all that fresh Himalayan air.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking (The Momos Incident!)
Okay, the food. The food is… an adventure. A la carte in restaurant, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Breakfast service, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant. Basically, they try to offer everything, which is often a recipe for mediocrity. However, the Momos. Oh, the Momos. I'm convinced they alone are worth the trip. I had them for breakfast, lunch and dinner - until one fateful day when after, I might have gone a little overboard. It was a Buffet in restaurant, and I ate so much that I swear I could barely move. I woke up in the middle of the night needing a drink, made my way to the kitchen to get a Bottle of water when the staff showed up and saw my situation which I won't go into detail but it was a great experience for the staff.
The Poolside bar? Non-existent. But there’s a bar, a proper bar, serving those drinks that are much needed after hiking and more Momos.
Services & Conveniences (The Ups & Downs):
They had the basics: Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Daily housekeeping, Dry cleaning, Elevator. (Though, remember that staircase?) Laundry service was a lifesaver after all that hiking. Luggage storage was helpful.
Missing a Trick (Literally) - The Views! They should invest in some proper Outdoor venue for special events, because the location is gorgeous. Just imagine a yoga retreat with this backdrop – pure gold!
For the Kids (and the Babysitters):
Family/child friendly, Kids meal. I didn't have kids with me, but I saw a few families. They seemed happy, but there was limited options.
Getting Around (and the Taxi Saga):
You can arrange Airport transfer, Taxi service. I recommend doing this. The roads are winding and the altitude can be a bit much, especially when you first arrive. I'm not a fan of taxis at all.
My Room (and the Unexpected Revelation):
**Available in all rooms, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm. ** My room was decent. Clean enough, although I could've done without the '70s-era décor. But then I saw the view – and my gripes melted away. Watching the sunrise over the mountains from my window? Priceless. Smoke detectors and Smoke alarms, a great sign of safety.
My Honest Recommendation (The Bottom Line):
Rana's House is not perfect. It’s got its quirks, the Wi-Fi is weak, and the walk up is a beast. BUT. The staff are genuinely lovely, the location is incredible, the cleanliness is top-notch, and the Momos are legendary.
Who is this for?
- Adventurers who don't mind a little rough around the edges.
- People who want to escape the city and breathe the fresh mountain air.
- Momo enthusiasts. (Seriously, you have to try them!)
Here's the deal:
Rana's House isn't a five-star resort. It's a comfortable, friendly, and incredibly well-placed basecamp for your Himalayan adventure. It's a place to relax, recharge, and eat your weight in Momos. And that, my friends, is a pretty darn good deal.
Here's my offer to you: Book your stay at Rana's House now and receive a complimentary plate of those incredibly delicious Momos at their restaurant! You won't regret it. Use my code "MOMOSMADNESS" when booking to claim your free Momos and get a 15% discount!
Rana's House: Book it. Breathe it. Eat the Momos. You deserve it.
Escape to Delhi's Luxury: Orchid Hotel Near Omaxe Mall!
Okay, buckle up Buttercup, because this isn't your grandma's itinerary. This is Rana's House, McLeodganj, Dharamshala, India and it’s gonna be… well, it's gonna be something. Prepare for beautiful chaos.
Rana's House: A Slightly Unhinged Itinerary (with apologies to anyone seeking actual order)
Pre-Trip Panic (Days Before Arrival):
- The Great Backpack Conundrum: Okay, so I've got a bag. A big bag. Filled with… stuff. Mostly essentials, like emergency chocolate (crucial), and a ridiculous amount of socks (because, you know, mountains). The problem? I'm pretty sure it weighs the same as a small pony. Packing is an art. I am… a Jackson Pollock.
- Visa Blues: Seriously, the Indian visa process could rival a Kafka novel in terms of bureaucracy. Let's hope my passport doesn't get eaten by a glitch in the system. Also, double-checking travel insurance - never a bad idea.
Day 1: Arrival and Altitude Adjustment (aka, the Day Everything Smells Like Incense)
- 6:00 AM - The Departure: Wake up. Coffee. Panic. Check passport for the millionth time. Uber to the airport. Airport security and the whole "taking off your shoes and belt" routine, which I still find slightly humiliating.
- 14:00 PM - Touchdown in Delhi: Ugh, Delhi. The sensory overload is REAL. The honking, the smells (good and… less good), the sheer hustle. But I get on my connecting flight to Dharamshala.
- 16:00 PM - Arrival in Dharamshala Airport: Woooo! Mountain air! Relief washing over my soul. Quick, grab my suitcase and find a taxi to McLeodganj.
- 17:00 PM - Check-In at Rana's House: Okay, so Rana's House. Charming, a bit quirky, and smells strongly of incense – like a Buddhist monk ran a perfumery in here. The view from my room? Breathtaking. Literal jaw-dropping, soul-stirring breathtaking. I'm already slightly overwhelmed in the best way possible.
- 18:30 PM - First Feed!: Find a recommended restaurants. Order a momos (obvs) and a thukpa (noodle soup). It's divine.
- 19:30 PM - The First Stroll: Walk around the main square. The people, the prayer flags, the energy… it’s a lot. I feel simultaneously energized and exhausted. This high altitude is no joke. Definitely feeling a little lightheaded. (Maybe that second momo wasn't the best idea). Time for early sleep.
Day 2: Finding my Zen… (Kinda)
- 8:00 AM - Breakfast at Rana's (Hopefully not burnt toast): Breakfast at the little cafe. Tea. Toast. Hopefully, the cook has a good day. I'm not sure if I love the food, or just the feeling of being here.
- 9:00 AM - The Dalai Lama Temple: Walk to the Tsuglagkhang Complex (Dalai Lama Temple). Seriously beautiful. The energy here is palpable. I spent a bit longer just sitting and watching. I felt a sense of peace I haven't experienced in… well, ever.
- 11:00 AM - Stupa Vibes: So many stupas. Walking around and just breathing. I am not particularly religious, but the feeling of walking around these monuments is amazing.
- 12:30 PM - Lunch: More momos. I am a creature of habit.
- 14:00 PM - Exploring the Streets: Wandering through the backstreets of McLeodganj. The shops, the people-watching, the sheer vibrancy of it all. I even bought an overpriced singing bowl. (What can I say? The salesperson was charming.)
- 15:00 PM – The Cafes: Went to a cafe and did nothing but chill.
- 16:00 PM - A Slight Hiker Moment: Planned on a hike but the air is thin and I'm tired. Opt out. Maybe tomorrow.
- 19:00 PM - Dinner: Dinner at a local restaurant - which I can't remember the name of. It was amazing food.
Day 3: The Hike That Almost Killed Me (Worth It, Though.)
- 7:00 AM - Breakfast: Wake up, drink coffee, and attempt to pack a lunch without forgetting anything (like, the actual sandwiches!) I'm on a mission to conquer the Triund trek.
- 8:00 AM - Getting Started: The beginning is fine. Easy. Beautiful. I feel invincible. (Famous last words, I know.)
- 10:00 AM - The Slope: Okay, so the 'easy' part evaporated. This is steep. I'm panting. My lungs feel like they're on fire. The views are still incredible, though. Keep going.
- 12:00 PM - Almost Gave Up: I wanted to cry. Probably did cry. But then I made it to the top. The view… words fail. Seriously, the panoramic view, the pure mountain air. The feeling of accomplishment. This is it. This is why I came. Absolutely stunning.
- 13:00 PM - Lunch on Top: Sandwich time! I earned that sandwich.
- 14:00 PM - Downhill Woes: The descent is brutal on the knees. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be walking sideways tomorrow.
- 17:00 PM - Back At Rana's: Shower. Collapse. Eat everything. This hike was insane, and completely worth it.
- 19:00 PM - Local Grub: Dinner at a small local place. They are so lovely.
Day 4: Relaxation and Reflection (and Maybe a Little Bit of Shopping)
- 9:00 AM - Late Start: I am sore.
- 9:30 AM - Yoga? Maybe Not.: Attempted a yoga class, but my body revolted. Managed to find a chair in the sun and watched others.
- 11:00 AM - Exploring The Shop: I am ready to spend all the money. I walked through the shops and bought way too much.
- 13:00 PM - Lunch: I found a tiny local spot that served amazing thali (I had to try them all).
- 14:00 PM - The Library of Tibetan Works and Archives: This place is amazing. So many sacred books.
- 16:00 PM - More Tea: Tea. Observation. Deep breaths. This place is magic.
- 19:00 PM - Goodbye Dinner: Final meal. Sadness that the trip is ending. Hope to come back.
Day 5: Goodbye, Mountains:
- 7:00 AM - Last Breakfast: A final, slightly burnt toast. And a final, gorgeous view from the balcony.
- 8:00 AM - Check out and Taxi: To the airport.
- Departure: The journey home. I am changed. I need to come back.
Post-Trip Revelations (Days After Returning):
- The Singing Bowl: Still figuring out how to make it sing… (It's harder than it looks!)
- The Memories: The smells, the sounds, the people… it's all imprinted.
- The Plan: Return ASAP. I'm leaving a piece of my heart in the Himalayas.
Notes:
- This is not a rigid schedule. Flexibility is key. Expect delays, expect surprises.
- Be prepared for power outages.
- Bargain! (But be respectful.)
- Stay open to the experience. Let the magic of McLeodganj wash over you.
- Don't drink the tap water. (Seriously.)
- Most importantly: Embrace the mess. Embrace the imperfections. Embrace the incredible beauty. Just go. You won't regret it.

Escape to the Himalayas: Rana's House FAQs - Because Finding Paradise Isn't Always Picture-Perfect (But It's Worth It)
Okay, so… what *is* Rana's House, exactly? Is it, like, a *real* house? And where the heck is McLeod Ganj, anyway? Don't judge me.
Alright, armchair traveler! Rana's House is totally real. It's NOT some Instagram-filtered fantasy (thank god). It's a guesthouse, or maybe even a small hotel, in McLeod Ganj, which, by the way, is this amazing little town right next to Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh, India. Think views that'll knock your socks off (especially if you're wearing hiking socks, which you *should*). It’s above the hustle and bustle but close enough to wander through, a sweet spot.
Now, where is this "heavenly" place? Imagine yourself in the foothills of the Himalayas. Picture lush green valleys, prayer flags fluttering in the wind, and the scent of incense mingling with… well, sometimes the aroma of questionable spices from the local food stalls (more on that later). McLeod Ganj is where you’ll find it – a bit of old and a bit of new, all crammed together in ways that only India can manage.
My own brain, well now... the first time I was in McLeod Ganj... It hit me like a brick. Altitude, spicy food, jet lag, all at the same time. I think I spent the first two days just staring at the mountains, my brain entirely short-circuited. It was... a *lot*. But you'll get used to it, promise. Eventually.
What's the vibe like at Rana's House? Is it all yoga retreats and chanting, or is it a bit more… chill? (And what if I’m not a yogi?!)
Okay, so, the vibe… It's definitely *not* all chanting. (Though, you might hear some, which I actually found pretty calming in the long run. After the initial, *“Am I in a cult?!”* reaction.) Rana's House is more relaxed. It's the kind of place where you can actually *breathe* and unwind. There’ll be other travelers, the occasional local, and the staff, who are generally super helpful and lovely, though sometimes there's a *slight* language barrier (think charades with a smile).
If you're not into yoga, that's totally fine! Nobody's going to force you into a downward dog. You can just chill with a book on the balcony, soak up the views, and maybe wander down to the town for some momos (more on THAT deliciousness later). I even managed a few hours on my own (bliss!), leaving a few books behind.
Now, for the slightly awkward part: you have to accept the quirks. Things like the occasional power outage (bring a flashlight!), the less-than-perfect Wi-Fi (embrace the digital detox!), and the fact that the water heater might take a while to warm up. It's all part of the charm, honestly. It's what makes it *real* and not some sterile, chain hotel.
How do I get to Rana's House? Is it a treacherous mountain climb? Because my fitness level is… Let's just say "moderate."
Alright, the journey. It's an experience, let's put it that way. The easiest way is probably to fly into Dharamshala Airport, then take a taxi or a pre-booked transfer (highly recommended - especially after a long flight). Roads in India can be… adventurous. Think hairpin turns, winding mountain passes, and the occasional rogue cow. Embrace the chaos, it's part of the fun!
Once you’re in McLeod Ganj, it’s likely that Rana's House is a short walk or taxi ride up the hill. It's not Everest, don't worry! But wear comfortable shoes, trust me on this. Cobblestone roads? Steep inclines? You'll be loving those boots, especially when lugging your suitcase.
And hey, if your fitness level is a little low, take it slow. Stop and admire the view. Drink some chai. Enjoy the journey. I *definitely* huffed and puffed a bit, but everyone’s lovely and understanding if you give it your all.
What kind of rooms are available? Are they, like, clean? And does the shower actually *work*? (This is important.)
Okay, the rooms. They're generally clean, and that’s a major win, right? They’re not luxury suites, mind you. Think basic but comfortable. It could be a bit cramped, but also clean, and most importantly, the views? Absolutely breathtaking. Especially in the morning when the sun hits the mountains, it's truly insane.
And the shower? Okay, it's a bit of a gamble (like most things in India, I'm finding). The water pressure isn't always the most reliable (sometimes a trickle, sometimes a torrent), and you might have to wait a bit for the hot water to kick in. But hey, you're in the Himalayas! You're not expecting spa luxury.
My advice? Pack some quick-drying clothes because who knows, you might have to be resourceful. and embrace the experience! You’ll find that the rooms are more than adequate for a relaxing stay.
The food! Tell me about the food! Is it all spicy? (My stomach is… delicate.)
The food... Ah, the food! Prepare to be both delighted and slightly terrified (especially if you're not used to spice). McLeod Ganj is a paradise for foodies, with everything from Tibetan momos (heavenly dumplings!) to Indian curries to Western-style cafes.
Now, the spice level. It varies. Very much. You can usually ask for "less spicy," but be warned: Indian "less spicy" can still be pretty spicy. I recommend starting slow, trying small portions, and having plenty of yogurt on hand (it's a lifesaver!).
I personally became obsessed with the momos. Absolutely, positively obsessed. I might have eaten them for almost every meal. The juicy, flavorful filling, the perfectly steamed dough… I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. I even tried making them once when I got home. Let's just say, my kitchen did *not* survive unscathed.
My recommendation: Explore the local cafes. Don't be afraid to try things. Some things are a surprise. Other things will be delicious. And if your stomach does rebel (and it might), there are enough pharmacies and helpful locals around to get you back on your feet.
What is there to do around Rana's House? Besides, you know, breathing and staring at mountains.
Okay, so, besides the obvious – the jaw-dropping views and the chance to just *be* – you can actually, youHotels With Kitchenettes

